Noise Complaints

Noise – What to Do

Solve the Problem Amicably

In the first instance, you should try to solve a noise dispute amicably by talking it over with whoever is causing the noise. Often people don’t realise they are causing a problem; they may be only too happy to do what they can to help.

Lodge a Complaint with Council

Councils have powers to issue a notice for many of the offensive noise problems in the community. Under section 264 of the Protection of the Environment Operations (POEO) Act 1997, they can serve a notice on the occupier of premises requiring measures to be taken to control noise from a wide range of domestic sources, including air-conditioners, swimming pool pumps, radios, sound reproduction equipment, musical instruments, power tools, lawnmowers, burglar alarms and animals.

The notice can require the noise-making activities to be restricted to certain times of the day or certain days. Failure to comply with the notice could lead to prosecution.

Council’s rangers can also act on complaints about noise. Council Rangers are on duty seven days a week from 5.30am to midnight and can be contacted by phoning (02) 9936 8100.

Contact the Police

If the noise is a ‘one-off’ problem, you could consider contacting the police who can direct a person making an offensive noise to stop.

A Noise Abatement Direction of this kind may be issued at any time of the day or night and can remain in force for up to 28 days from the time it is issued.

Any person who fails to comply with such a direction can be fined up to $3300 or issued with a $200 on-the-spot fine (or $400 for a corporation).

North Sydney Police Phone: 9956 3199 273 Pacific Highway, Crows Nest 

41 Rocklands Rd Wollstonecraft NSW 2065